Kneller Hall in 1890

Kneller Hall, formerly the residence of the painter Sir Godfrey Kneller, is close to Twickenham. In 1850 it was largely rebuilt and became the headquarters of the Royal Military School of Music. Colonel Thomas Bradney Shaw Hellier was Commandant there from 1887 to 1892. The photo in our collection dates from about 1890 showing soldiers and bandsmen gathering outside the front of the Hall.